The dog in the arms is called a "Talbot" The Talbot was an ancient hound dog which was owned by Simon of Sudbury. He became Archbishop of Canterbury and Lord Chancellor of England in the 15th century. He was responsible for the government's oppressive policies, for imposing high taxes on the poor. The poll tax together with the Black Death led to the Peasants Revolt. Angry mobs from Essex & Kent dragged him from the Tower of London and hacked him to death. His head was impaled on a pole on London bridge and eventually brought back to Sudbury where it is now displayed in St.Gregory's Church.
Sudbury applied for the Coat of Arms during the reign of Elizabeth I.
The son of Nigel Theobald, (Sudbury as he later became known) was born at Sudbury in Suffolk, studied at the University of Paris, and became one of the chaplains of Pope Innocent VI, one of the Avignon popes, who in 1356 sent him on a mission to Edward III of England. In 1361 Sudbury was made Chancellor of Salisbury and in October that year the pope provided him to be Bishop of London, Sudbury's consecration occurring on 20 March 1362. He was soon serving Edward III as an ambassador and in other ways. On 4 May 1375 he succeeded William Whittlesey as archbishop of Canterbury, and during the rest of his life was a partisan of John of Gaunt.
In July 1377, following the death of Edward III in June, Sudbury crowned the new king, Richard II at Westminster Abbey, and in 1378 John Wyclif appeared before him at Lambeth, but he only undertook proceedings against the reformer under great pressure.In January 1380, Sudbury became Lord Chancellor of England, and the insurgent peasants regarded him as one of the principal authors of their woes. Having released John Ball from his prison at Maidstone, the Kentish insurgents attacked and damaged the archbishop's property at Canterbury and Lambeth; then, rushing into the Tower of London, they seized the archbishop himself. So unpopular was Sudbury that guards simply allowed the rebels through the gates.
Sudbury was dragged to Tower Hill and, on 14 June 1381, was beheaded after eight blows to his neck. His body was afterwards buried in Canterbury Cathedral, though his head (after being taken down from London Bridge) is still kept at the church of St Gregory at Sudbury in Suffolk, which Sudbury had partly rebuilt. With his brother, John of Chertsey, he also founded a college in Sudbury; he also did some building at Canterbury. His father was Nigel Theobald, and he is sometimes called Simon Theobald or Tybald.
In March 2011 a CT scan of Sudbury's mummified skull was performed at the West Suffolk Hospital to make a facial reconstruction, which was completed in September 2011 by forensics expert Adrienne Barker at the University of Dundee.